Ah, Wiki. I'm a fan. Like Heather mentioned, it's great for pop-culture-type things, and I use it a lot for information about anime and manga (animations and comics from Japan).
In the spirit of the 'knowledge of the masses' that makes Wiki work, I set out to edit the article about Eden of the East, an animated show that aired in Japan last year. At the climax of the show, thousands of "NEETs" (an actual term, not fictional!), submit their ideas to a website about how to stop an impending missile attack. The chance that one out of those thousands of people will have the most victorious idea to stop the missiles is the hope of the city. The knowledge of the masses!
Very ambitiously, I aimed to add a whole new section to the article: I added some interesting related trivia, a brief few sentences.
...
About three hours later, my work was completely deleted.
So, how 'bout that question for the week.
It's not particularly hard to find an article in need of a spellcheck or tweak to it's grammar. For the kind of articles I browsed, the information seemed to be accurate. However! What a bummer to spend the time trying to figure out Wiki's manual of style and odd assortment of html-like tags -- then to only have your work disappear!
...I think you'd have to be a harder-core editor or Wiki-fiend than I to actually get very far with any edits or additions of significance.
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great post, Amber. :) And now I know what NEETs are! You learn something new everyday apparently.
ReplyDeleteSide note: I'm definitely looking into Eden of the East now. Is it just me or is it Bloody Monday-esque?